The Lacey Act is the current statute that is used to prevent the importation or spread of potentially dangerous non-native species. On September 21, 2006, USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) received a petition from the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) requesting that Burmese pythons be considered for inclusion in the injurious wildlife regulations pursuant to the Lacey Act (18 U.S.C. 42). The USFWS began an Injurious Wildlife Species Review Regarding Python, Boa and Eunectes Species Of Snakes in early 2008. A Notice of Inquiry was published inviting public comment. NEHS submitted a letter in response to that inquiry.
This page is an index of information collected from all sides of the discussion. Information sources are provided to aid in putting the information in context. I encourage everyone to educate yourself on these issues, and act accordingly.
S.373, A bill to amend title 18, United States Code
- S.373 on Opencongress.org (bill details, status, news reports, etc.),
- Introduction of S.373, To amend title 18, United States Code
- The Full Text of S.373 is available at: http://thomas.loc.gov/ enter S373 in the search field.
- Full Text of Section 42(a)(1) of title 18, U.S. Code with proposed ammendment inserted
- Palm Beach Post Article about S.373, Thursday, February 05, 2009
- Press Release from USARK (U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers) opposing S.373
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council Position on S.373 (From PIJAC PET ALERT - February 17, 2009)
- USARK S.373 Campaign
- Congressional Budget Office to score S.373 (From USARK)
H.R. 669, Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act
- H.R. 669 on Opencongress.org (bill details, status, news reports, etc.)
- Introduction of The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (January 26, 2009) H.R. 669
- The Full Text of H.R. 669 is available at: http://thomas.loc.gov/ type HR669 in the search field.
- Press Release from Humane Society of the United States in support of H.R. 669
- Press Release From USARKS (U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers) opposing H.R.669
- USARK Follow up First Alert on HR669 - NO on HR669 / Grassroots Organizing 101
- PIJAC Statement on HR669 from http://www.pijac.org
- National Environmental Coalition on Invasive Species brochure in support of HR669
- Position Paper of the Ecological Society of America
- United States Association of Reptile Keepers Position on Passage of HR669
- USARK Testimony before Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans & Wildlife
- USARK Letter to Honorable Madeline Bordallo May 20, 2009
USFWS Injurious Wildlife Species Review Concerning Python, Boa, and Eunectes genera
- The Full Text of The Lacey Act
- USFWS Notice of Inquiry
- NEHS response to USFWS Inquiry